Heavenly Prank

Before going to bed, in our childhood days, my sis and I regularly recited the Hanuman sloka or prayer to ward off nightmares or bad dreams. But in spite of repeatedly correcting my sis, who was then 4, she continued to recite the last line of the prayer erringly. This is how the sloka/prayer was taught to us by our mom
ആലത്തൂര്‍ ഹനുമാനെ                     
പേടിസ്വപ്നം കാണ്ണിക്യരുതെ
പേടിസ്വപ്നം കണ്ടാല്‍
വാലുതട്ടി ഉണ്നാര്‍തനമേ

Lord Hanuman of Alathur
Let me not see any bad dreams.
If I happen to see one
wake me up with a wag of your tail.

My little sister would recite the last line as "വാലുകൊണ്ട് തട്ടി ഇടനമേ" which meant "topple me off with your tail".

I found it very hilarious and often pictured her being topple off the bed. We  both slept in our parents bedroom, with our bed right below their cot until I hit my teens. So even if my sis was toppled off she could have fell only 12 inches (the thickness of our bed).

It so happened that one night while I was slumbering, I dreamt of a coconut falling  on my head. But before the coconut could knock my head in the dream, I vividly recollect a 40 pound object falling on me. As you must have guessed that elephantine object was none other than my sis.Sometime in the middle of the night she had climbed up on my parents bed to sleep with them. And of course Lord Hanuman played his heavenly prank on us or rather I should say heard both our prayers.

He woke me up and also toppled by sister off my parents cot  probably while she  was amidst her nightmare, though mine was as good as coconut landing on my head in my dream.
These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati

6 Responses to this post

  1. devipman on September 26, 2010 at 11:48 PM

    I really liked it. I too believe that Hanumanswami heard ur (urs & Ammu's ) prayers. I thank HIM for saving u from that coconut.Otherwise i would've got a tala chalungiya
    d-i-l :-) :-)

  2. Sreedevi R Menon on September 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM

    @Amma: Ammu was as good as a coconut :-) LOL

  3. Unknown on September 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM

    kunjimol , very funny and interesting story!

  4. Sreedevi Menon on September 29, 2010 at 1:21 PM

    @Mummy: Thank you Mummy :-)

  5. Anonymous on December 18, 2010 at 2:07 AM

    sorry..but if u dont mind, stop blogging..horrible!

  6. Sreedevi Menon on December 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM

    @Anonymous: You are entitled to your opinion. But we live in a free world - so I'll continue to blog and you can stop visiting and reading them ...bingo! we both win.