A GPS Tale

It is Saturday morning, and I am planning pay a visit to my friend. I start my car, and enter her address into my GPS. The GPS acquires the satellite, and it soon starts guiding me. “Huh technology! No more pages of maps required.” I murmur with admiration.

I soon hit a red light, and the GPS goes “Turn Left". 45 seconds later. "TURN LEFT"."Sorry Ms.GPS, the signal is red, I can't turn".  5 seconds later, the signal turns green and I make a left turn. "In 5 miles, turn right", the GPS blares.

After few minutes, I notice that there is only a mile more to go. "Hey! I am almost there", I mutter happily. 

"Lost satellite reception". "WHAT! Damn, where I am suppose to turn, you stupid device". Acquiring satellite 0% ... 5% ... 10% ... 50% ...  Shucks! Why is it taking so long?!”. As I look at the screen, it goes blank (weak battery). ”What a Loose Cannon!".

I pull into a parking lot, call my husband, and get the directions. So much for the GPS!

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati

6 Responses to this post

  1. Bridget on April 27, 2010 at 5:55 PM

    I personally do not believe in the GPS. I think we are made to believe that some technology are critical to our everyday lives when they are not. I have travelled many places - abroad and in the States with nothing more than a map. Just a map, got me where I needed to go. Who would have thought that? :)

  2. Sreedevi Menon on April 28, 2010 at 3:02 PM

    @Bridget: I agree with you 100%. These days I refer to Google maps before leaving my home, just so that I know I'll make it to the destination ;)

  3. Unknown on April 28, 2010 at 5:36 PM

    Oh I agree with u!..man there have been soo many times that the GPS just refuses to work when u need it the most!.. map-quest or google maps is the only rescue then!

  4. devipman on May 2, 2010 at 8:57 PM

    That's why we r not installing GPS in our car :-)

  5. Unknown on May 9, 2010 at 6:58 AM

    this blog really remembering those days when we spend with kavi and pranesh.I really love GPS comments in driving.

  6. Sreedevi Menon on May 10, 2010 at 11:12 AM

    @All: Thanks for reading, and for your comments :-)