Ms.Gulab (Falooda)

Last Tuesday I was dreaming about falooda in my sleep. I  have no idea why on earth my subconscious mind would even think of falooda when it has been zillion years since I have had one. That day the first thing I did on reaching work was to google on how to make falooda and good gracious who knew it was a breeze. Fellow homosapiens, you should give this a try. It's quick and delicious! But before I step into my recipe, let me share this trivia with you all - Falooda is an adaptation of the Persian dessert Faloodeh and it made its grand entry to the Indian subcontinent during the Mughal period. 

Alright, so I am going to call my easy falooda version  - Ms. Gulab

Ingredients:
  • 1 glass of reduced fat milk
  • 1-2 handfuls of Chinese noodles or vermicelli
  • 6 teaspoons of rose syrup (Recommend: rooafza found in the Indian stores)
  • Sugar to taste
  • 2-3 scoops of mango/vanilla/tutti-frutti ice cream
  • 6 slivers of almonds/pistachios
  • A pinch of cardamom powder
Preparation:
  • Take a handful of noodles/vermicelli and cook it in the boiling water until soft.
  • Strain the noodles/vermicelli and keep aside.
  • Next into a saucepan, pour a glass of cold milk followed by the rose syrup, a pinch of cardamom and sugar.
  • Add the vermicelli/noodles into it.
  • Chill the mixture for another 40 minutes or more
  • In a tall glass, add 2 scoops of ice cream.
  • Pour the chilled mixture to it.
  • Sprinkle with almond/pistachio slivers as garnish.
  • Add a straw and long-handled spoon
Ms.Gulab is ready to be served.

Note: Traditional faloodas also have basil seeds (sabza seeds) in them.
These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati

4 Responses to this post

  1. Anonymous on September 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM

    I'm gonna give it a try :)
    thanks !
    Sang

  2. Unknown on September 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM

    wow...looks super yum...and as u said it doesnt look that complicated...will try..

  3. Sree on September 26, 2010 at 3:20 PM

    @Sang, Manasi: Let me know how it turns out

  4. Ranjeetha Bipin on November 9, 2010 at 5:48 AM

    Yummy....looks lovely too....